|back to recipe archives
|Spicy Stir - Fried Tofu with Chinese Greens and Daikon
|This is a spicy, brothy stir-fry with meaty dried Chinese mushrooms and tofu. If you want a thicker glaze, use the optional cornstarch or arrowroot mixture.
1. Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and pour on boiling water to cover. Let sit 15 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients. When thoroughly softened, drain over a bowl through a fine strainer, squeeze out more moisture over the strainer, and rinse well to remove sand. Cut away the tough stems and discard, and slice the caps 1/2 inch thick.
2. While the mushrooms are soaking, prepare the greens. Wash thoroughly. Cut off at the base, and slice about 1 inch thick. For cabbage, cut larger leaves in half lengthwise first. If the broccoli stems are thick, blanch in a large pot of boiling water for 10 seconds, then submerge in cold water to stop the cooking, and drain.
3. Combine the ginger, garlic, salt, and chile pepper flakes in a bowl and mash together with a fork. Cover and set aside.
4. Combine the soy sauce, sake or sherry, and 1/3 cup strained soaking water from the mushrooms in another bowl, cover and set aside.
5. Heat a wok or large, heavy-bottomed nonstick frying pan over high heat until hot enough for a drop of water to evaporate upon contact. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and turn the heat down to medium-high. Add the garlic and chile mixture and cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to color, about 30 seconds. Add the sliced mushrooms and tofu and cook, stirring gently but constantly, for 2 minutes. Add a teaspoon of the remaining oil or as needed to prevent sticking. Add the daikon and toss for another 30 seconds to a minute, until just beginning to soften. Add the greens and toss for another 30 seconds to a minute, until beginning to wilt.
6. Stir together the stock mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer 30 seconds to a minute, until the greens are just wilted and the stems crisp-tender. If you want a thicker sauce, stir the cornstarch mixture and add. Stir until the sauce glazes the tofu and vegetable mixture. Remove from the heat and serve at once over rice or noodles.
Advance preparation: The mushrooms can be soaked, greens blanched and all the ingredients prepared hours ahead of time. Cooking is last-minute.
| Martha's Cookbooks | Writing Services | Cooking Classes |
Seasonal Recipes | Principles of Cooking | Recipe Archives
|©1998 - 2010 Martha Rose Shulman